Saturday, February 18, 2012

Two things

First do you remember talking to your imaginary friend as a child? Sometimes we had them and sometimes we didn't. We were told that we had to stop talking to them, that we had to grow up and needed to find real friends. So as adults there are people that have now been put into hospitals or institutions, put in straight jackets, put on meds and are told they are crazy because they talk to themselves. But why are they there and called that but we do it and are called normal? I mean we talk to ourselves while in the car and another person cuts us off or is driving to slow or is tailgating us. We can talk to ourselves when we are walking down the street, when we are trying to figure out a problem, when we are cleaning, when we are cooking, when we are alone and just about any other time in our life. I say this because I found myself tonight on the way to the movie theater talking to myself about the car in front of me. I stopped and then just shook my head thinking about how dumb it was. It also gave me an idea to write about it tonight, seeing we are supposedly going looney when we go over the age of 40. It also make me wonder just how normal are we? What exactly is normal?

Second if you get a chance go see the movie "This Means War" starring Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, and Tom Hardy. It is an action comedy so it fits both a chick flick and a guy movie and I really wish they made more like this. I love Reese in movies, bubbly personality, makes you laugh and she is a great actress. Then Chris Pine with his incredible blue eyes and a smile that can melt anyone (who if you didn't know his dad is Robert Pine who played Sarge in CHiPs another awesome series and they actually even mention the show in the movie) who I can't wait to see in the next Star Trek movie. Then there is the newbie Tom Hardy a Brit that has burst onto the action movie scene with Warrior and now this, but apparently does have a softer side to him somewhere. All in all, GREAT movie, laughing so hard it brought tears to my eyes at times and the crowd loved it as well. It is one I will definitely be buying on DVD when it comes out.

But the one thing it did go to was a side that you don't see often, a woman dating two men at the same time. It seems to me almost a double standard still like an older woman with a younger man. It seems men can do it with playing the field and then they get the slap on the back and told "cool dude," "way to go," and the good old standby "What a man!!". But if a woman does it then it isn't acceptable at all, she can be called all sorts of names that aren't something you would say to your mother. Why is that? Why is it okay for guys to do it but not women? Now I am not saying that it is something that everyone should do but the fact that no matter how far we have advanced in our way of life, our technology, and our society, things that women do are still no longer allowed when it should be. What will it take for them to be accepted more?

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I want to watch that movie!!! I agree with you also!! The world has so many contradictions when it comes to men and women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately that is something that I don't think will change for a long time. The funny thing is other things that are more outrageous are accepted better than this.

      Delete